Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Pride and Other Risks of Expression


.
photo by mario zanaria
juliana.horner.fashion.3
sketch and photo by juliana horner
.
photo by mario zanaria
.
photo by mario zanaria
juliana.horner.fashion.2
sketch and photo by juliana horner
.
photo by mario zanaria
.
photo by mario zanaria
.
photo by mario zanria
juliana.horner.fashion.1
sketch and photo by juliana horner
pratt-fashion-show21WWD
photo by Thomas Iannaccone for WWD
x-default
photo by mario zanaria
juliana.in.lookbook
photo by me of Juliana's piece in Pratt Look Book

You might remember something about me leaving my daughter in New York roughly four years ago.  Watching her, from a long distance vantage point, grow into an independent and immensely original artist has been something that I think I may utterly fail at describing. It is complex and beautiful and rewarding and humbling.  Attending the graduating fashion show last week held all of the excitement that we anticipated.  The phone calls, texts, emails, visits that we have had with her in recent months graced us with news of success and recognition by her peers and the faculty at Pratt.  Being asked to be in the show alone is an honor that not every graduating senior gets.  Which on the one hand feels unfair.  On the other hand feels just like the fashion world.  Might as well know that as soon as possible, I suppose.  But imagine our huge pride at watching her collection close the show.  The finale.  The last looks on everyone's mind.  Looks that have landed at WWD and  Style.com among others (in fact I just noticed the looks of Jeff's and my face are right over the models left shoulders in the WWD slideshow, snort).  If you want to see the entire show, it's right over here (her stuff begins around 57:30).
With the imagery of her collection still fresh in my mind, the single greatest joy for me is to have seen her and her work in the context of her peers and find it to be so completely unaffected by her environment or the work of others.  Watching the models float across the runway in her inventive, watercolor-y yet intensely engineered pieces still has me feeling as though I am swimming through her sketchbook.  The seemingly effortless translation of concept to final piece was fluid and graceful and utterly deceptive in hiding the hours and hours (and hours) each of the pieces took.  She sent her hands and heart down the walk.  It was a risk.  A huge risk to insist on your work being entirely from within and nothing else.  
Her collection is titled Containment and here are a few of her own words:
"As humans we have a natural tendency to contain things.  It gives us a sense of control, whether that control is real or not.  I wanted to play with this idea in the garments, both containing the body and elements within the fabrications themselves."
My only regret from the event is that she was backstage during her parade of work and could not see or feel how the energy in the room changed entirely as her pieces poured into the crowd of onlookers.  I have of course relentlessly described this to her ever since.
Congratulations to my beautiful, amazing girl.  My own greatest risk.
This is just the beginning.
xoxo

40 comments:

  1. I rarely comment and am not a mother...sometimes I'm not sure if I will be. This post and your closing brought out those brief yet piercing little sharp tears to my eyes. It's a joy to see how such beauty and talent can be shared within a family, how it grows and changes and expresses itself in such individual ways. How it is nurtured and blooms. Thanks for sharing it with us and congrats to you both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard it said that life comes in cycles, and this seems like a return for you to a familiar time and place but with different perspective. I love that your life has produced so much creative beauty not only in the tangibles, within and through your children. Congratulations to Julianna- your work is so provoking. I love seeing how your sketches became reality. Congratulations to Anna and Jeff- you have every reason to be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to you and to Juliana! As always, your honest and beautiful way of writing perfectly expresses the entire event and the emotion surrounding it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful and original creations. It's great to see that she has her own, unique vision, and that she executed it so beautifully. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So ethereal and enchanting! Wonderful job, Juliana!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo!
    I am happy for her, for you... for the glimpse you are sharing.
    What a marvelous finish... which, naturally is only the beginning.
    Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic show and vision! Congratulations to her and to you. What an achievement, just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Juliana's work is so distinctive and full of personality. And its so wonderful to see our children be successful. Applause all around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was completely captivated my these photo's. Abstract fashion usually irritate me, but when your post came up in my feed I couldn't help but scroll down and read your post. Beautiful. You get a really strong sense of the containment she describes. Congratulations to a the proud mother!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! Such a talented gal! Her designs are so original and expressive! I would gush as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO creative and love her statement! Few people understand that part of fashion, that it inspires and represents. Bravo Juliana and bravo Mom and Dad!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, congratulations to Juliana and you all Anna Maria! What a wonderful accomplishment! How wonderful it is as mothers to be able to sit back and watch with such pride and excitement as our greatest accomplishments achieve some of theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats proud mama! Next stop, Project Runway??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazingly talented! Wow!!! You have every right to be proud. Congrats Juliana Horner. No doubt we will be seeing more of her work in the future

    Hillary

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's really an amazing and inspirational line - way to go, Juliana! What a wonderful early mother's day gift; I would be on cloud 9 with pride if I were you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The sneak peek you showed me did not do this justice. It is gorgeous! And what a huge accomplishment! Congratulations to Juliana! I know that your heart is bursting, as it well should be. She has amazing talent - must get it from her mom. I can't wait to see what she does next. I have no doubt it will be spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember experiencing the same feelings and emotions when our oldest son's collection was shown when he was a student. Not Pratt, but we were still incredibly proud. Congrats to your daughter, her collection is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing work, it sure is the beginning! You must be very proud of her, congratulations to Juliana!
    Myrto

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations to Julianna!!! Her work is breathtaking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations Julianna! I loved this post Anna, I just couldn't help myself from commenting. To "hear" your pride and joy coming through this post brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love reading your words on being a mom and this made me weep. Amazing in a number of ways. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Her work is stunning! You must be a very proud mother! Congrats to you all. She has many great things ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember reading your post 4 years ago after dropping Juliana off and it seems like just yesterday! Congratulations to Juliana. Her work is beautiful! Best wishes for all the exciting roads ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Juliana's work is absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it and plan to include it in my next "color + pattern" post for Contemporary Cloth.
    Again, I LOVE EVERY PIECE..........AMAZING.
    Thank you for making my day,
    Sondra XXX

    ReplyDelete
  25. what a beautiful love letter to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful...thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic- such talent! The collection is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such beautiful work!! Congratulations to you all, what a wonderful culmination.

    ReplyDelete
  29. choking on my tears on your last lines... as a proud mama...and what a creation/creator she has become.. lovetoyour juliana..and all your littles and yous!! xooxxo thankyou for the continued inspirations and heart.sharing of your artistic.living with all of us.. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  30. ps.. .her work is absolutely stunning!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! Congratulations Juliana (and, in a way, Happy Mother's Day to you)! What a wonderful thing to see your child doing so well. My favorite piece was the one she walked out with (the one on style.com). That must have been so much work, but it DID look effortless and so professional. What an honor for her and how proud you all must be.

    ReplyDelete
  32. oh my goodness.... graduating?!?! how on earth did that happen so fast? she is incredible... i absolutely love the way the garments look like they are floating on the models... it is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations Juliana! Amazing work. Anna it must have been great to see your daughters creations and vision on stage.

    ReplyDelete
  34. BRAVO! Such stunning works of art!! Congrats to your daughter, really beautiful designs. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  35. Okay, I really don't understand how you contain yourself, as a mother, a designer, and a woman of such expression. This is NOT your mother's design! She is separate and distinct from you but yet I can see your influence as well as your willingness to allow her to express her own views. Pride doesn't even cover it. I only saw her fabric a couple of weeks ago but I'm so impressed with her artistic expression.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Totally fabulous!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  37. As a mother I am in tears at your words. How exciting for you to witness and so exciting for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Online Business with hourly profit, Just Invest and Rest
    AllTimeProfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Pure genius. Marveling at the concept, creativity, talent, fluidity and funky fashion - the beauty, the sheer sheerness. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete