Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A soft silky summer



Our baby girl is one.  That happened on Saturday.  She dug her chubby little fingers through a strawberry lemon cupcake baked by Eleni and Isabela until finally she stuck some of the gooeyness into her little rosebud mouth and smiled a yummy grin.  Also a little chuckle as she knew everyone of us had been sitting there waiting for her to do it, and had been restraining ourselves from picking up a big chunk and plunking it onto her tongue.  But I insisted we all wait and watch.  Let her do it herself.  And she did.  Because she is One.

She is strong, delightful, sweet, ambitious, friendly, affectionate, smart.  This morning when I heard her big girl squawks from the crib -- noticed they were finished being the talking herself into being awake sort, and had become the when is someone going to retrieve me? sort -- I walked in to find her standing with a giant smile against the white railing pointing over to a picture of my mother and me on her shelf.  "Yes, Nani" I said as I always do when she points to it.  And her smile deepens and a breathy chuckle made of s and t sounds sneaks out of the slobbery grin marked with 5 tiny teeth.  We settled into the rocker and she grabbed my shirt for morning milk.  As I obliged I instinctively traced the nail of my right forefinger from the crown of her head to her left temple in one gentle line to part her soft, silky flax over to one side.  The morning light through her pink curtains made her thickening hair gleam like white gold.  I soaked in the tenderness of a single fleeting moment- soft, silky summer, rocking, intense eyebrows concentrating on her work- knowing it will get swallowed up by breakfast cereal and running with the rest of them all too soon.

For now though, the sunlit mornings and the dark nights and that rocker are ours.
I don't know how to wish for more, still trying to grasp all that is before me.
Blessing counted.
xoxoAM

19 comments:

  1. Blessings on you and yours. I loved raising our 6. Your photo reminds me of that : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a gift for words and expressing the wonder of those precious baby moments. The time passes much too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little one turns 35 today. It seems like yesterday I shared moments like that with her. They go by too quickly. Cherish every second.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful and poignant. Your mother is smiling on you both I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful words. Thank you for them. I adore your blog.

    This mom of five with a little one tried to catch the same sentiments just this week...

    http://themerrygo-round.blogspot.com/2014/05/all-tucked-in-their-beds.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the memories of our children...your words brought it all back. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very very sweet. nice imagry to look back on, later. My little guy is 17 months soon and it is going so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such very precious moments. My littlest boy has just turned six. I hold on to every special thing. Blessings indeed. The family photo is lovely, really one to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday little one. I have my nine month old granddaughter this week as my daughter and her husband are house hunting in the Seattle area. As I'm on the coast of SC, I'm not thrilled with the move but the Navy insists. I'm enjoying these precious moments that bring back such fond memories of when mine were little. Enjoy each moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sweet! Similar to our family. This year our little guy is two, so he's running everywhere. It's still such a sweet time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. complete sweetness. happy birthday, mary anna!

    ReplyDelete
  13. :'( happy sweet tears. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. This information in this blog is really a appreciable. I would really like to say that the knowledge you have about this is quit impressing.

    Property For Sale Sitges & Barcelona Accommodation Sitges

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is the sweetest post...EVER!!! Those are such treasured memories. I am fortunate these days to take care of my great grandson (7 months old) one day a week. Love, love, love holding him during feeding time (Mama's milk from a bottle) and both of us falling asleep afterwards in the chair...Thanks for sharing this tender moment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to read your post :). It is very informative!
    SEO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed
    reading it, you are a great author.I will make sure to
    bookmark your blog and will come back later in life.
    I want to encourage that you continue your great work,
    have a nice evening! obat penghilang tato

    ReplyDelete
  18. Get Hourly profit for 200 hours on every hour without any risk and without any work, best business plans ever
    AllTimeProfit.com

    ReplyDelete

  19. Find best Online Jobs on Facebook...
    JobzCorner

    ReplyDelete